Discourse Installs for Non-Profit and EducationJeff Atwood February 19, 2014
Discourse is an open source project so it can reach the entire breadth of the web, including non-profits or schools that may have modest budgets.
If you’re part of a non-profit or educational organization that needs a great next-generation discussion platform, we can help:
For a flat one time setup fee of $200, and $20/month, we can set up a fully configured Discourse instance in the cloud for you. Unfortunately, we cannot offer any support, but we do include one future update to the latest version.
- Initial setup is a one time fee of $200, payable to us.
- Monthly payment is $20, payable to Digital Ocean.
- You will be hosted on Digital Ocean’s cloud infrastructure. Yes, you can also run other software on your shiny new Digital Ocean server.
- Your discussion community will be completely configured with email, social sign on, and ready to use out of the box. We will also set up any options you need such as private forums, signup approval, logos, etcetera.
- We include one free update to the latest version, whenever you are ready. We’re happy to take a look at your community and answer any questions you have at that time, too.
- Future updates must be initiated manually via our one-click updater, which we will teach you to use as a part of the update.
Beyond the one update, we regret that we unfortunately cannot provide any support for your install to keep costs low. That said, we want your discussion community to be amazing and we won’t leave you hanging. If something urgent comes up, don’t hesitate to contact us and we’ll figure something out that works for both of us.
Here’s how to get started:
- Decide what domain name you want for your discussion community, in the form of:
forums.example.com, etc. You’ll need to add a DNS entry for that name pointing to the IP address Digital Ocean provides us in the next step.
- Sign up at Digital Ocean with the $20/month plan.
- Email us your domain name choice and your Digital Ocean login credentials at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can of course change these credentials once configuration is complete.
We should typically have your new Discourse discussion community all set up and ready to go in one business day. Welcome to the family. :)