Since May this year we’ve been working with a handful of incredibly talented students. Google Summer of Code 2017 has now concluded, and we have some kick-ass new features to show for it. If you’re interested in a similar type of program, you should read about Outreachy further below, which is an internship for people from groups traditionally underrepresented in tech. As for Rails Girls, that is still ongoing; expect an update some time in October.
Four students entered - Four students emerged victorious
Out of the 4 students we worked with this year, all of them passed with flying colors. Not only that, but the projects they worked on were far from trivial.
David Taylor - Discourse Chat Integration
- Plugin repo: https://github.com/discourse/discourse-chat-integration/
- Core commits: https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commits?author=davidtaylorhq
- Wrap-up post: https://dtaylor.uk/blog/2017/08/gsoc_with_discourse/
Bianca Nenciu - UX improvements; PMs to email addresses; Canned Replies v2
- Core commits: https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commits/master?author=nbianca
- Canned replies: https://github.com/discourse/discourse-canned-replies/commits/master?author=nbianca
- Onebox: https://github.com/discourse/onebox/commits/master?author=nbianca
- Wrap-up repo: https://github.com/nbianca/gsoc-2017
Jakub Macina - Search filters for tags, images & filetypes; Infinite scrolling in search results
- Core commits: https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commits?author=dmacjam
- Wrap-up post: https://dmacjam.github.io/gsoc17-discourse/
Erick Guan - Login by email link; UTF-8 improvements; Improved Chinese-Japanese-Korean search
A big warm thanks to our wonderful students! We’d be happy to keep working with all of you, so hopefully we’ll still see you on Meta from time to time.
Outreachy - Winter Round
We planned to participate in Outreachy this summer, but with 4 GSoC slots and a Rails Girls project, our mentors were at capacity. We opted to defer our Outreachy participation to this winter.
However, we did in fact get to work with an Outreachy applicant this summer as well! Bianca originally found out about us through Outreachy, but when we realised we didn’t have the mentors available for it we recommended that she apply for GSoC instead, and the rest is history (of kickassery).
Would you like to participate in Outreachy this winter?
Learn all about it here: https://github.com/discourse/discourse/wiki/Outreachy